Tuesday 28 October 2014

Living with Depression and Borderline Personality Disorder

Hi everyone,

I have done a similar post to this previously, but I wanted to go a bit more in depth and let you get to know the real me.

I have depression and BPD, usually know as Borderline Personality Disorder. Depression is defined by Depression UK as:

a mood disorder characterised by low mood and a wide range of other possible symptoms, which will vary from person to person. An illness that can develop quickly or gradually, and be brought on by life events and/or changes in body chemistry. It can strike anyone, and is curable.

I was first diagnosed with depression 3 years ago, when I started university. I had been feeling down for some time and my mood swings were getting uncontrollable. My relationship with my boyfriend was getting worse because I was so paranoid and my anger towards him grew so much, we questioned why we were together.


I decided to go to the doctors because I decided I couldn't live like that anymore and he suggested depression as a likely cause. He referred me to the Peter Hodgkinson centre in Lincoln, a NHS service aimed at helping patients with mental health problems.  I have now been a patient at this centre for 2 and  a half years and I go for check ups with my assigned consultant every three months for a review of my medication. I have been referred to counsellors previously but due to the fact I was ill for one of my sessions, I got discharged from their services. This has thrown me off and any benefit I got from my short time at counselling has steadily disappeared.

Borderline Personality Disorder is one of the most common personality disorders. People with personality disorders may find it difficult to:
  • make or keep close relationships
  • get on with people at work
  • get on with friends and family
  • keep out of trouble
  • control your feelings or behaviour
  • listen to other people

There are different types of personality disorder and I have been diagnosed with the 'Borderline or emotionally unstable' group. This means that I am impulsive and I find it hard to cope my emotions. I have up and down days, meaning that if I am sad, I am very sad and if I am happy, I am manic and highly excitable. It can also mean that I feel paranoid and have low self esteem and self worth.

The paranoia and low self esteem are the symptoms that affect me most of all. I am paranoid about everything and everyone. I struggle to leave the house some days because I am terrified of how other people will perceive me and I am scared that someone will laugh at me (classic paranoia!). The paranoia also affects my relationship with my boyfriend. I am paranoid about him 24 hours a day, I struggle to control thoughts about him and it results in me getting extremely upset and/or angry. I accuse him of cheating or sneaking around behind my back and I have gone through phases of checking his phone and internet history just to make sure he isn't messing around. My problem has got so bad that I get to the point of wishing him to mess up, just so I am justified in my feelings and I have the right to be mad at him.

My low self esteem has to take some responsibility for this behaviour. I think so negatively of myself and constantly judge myself next to other people. To go out is a struggle, even now. I need the motivation from other people to get me to leave the house. If I had the choice, I would stay in bed all day.

This combined with the depression leads to a very stressful life. Of course I have good days, I can have times when I am so happy and nothing bothers me and this is a release to me. It feels like a weight has been lifted from my head. Other days, I feel swamped, like my head is going to explode. I guess I have to reach a good and healthy balance but I know it will be a struggle. 

Thoughts of suicide and self harm are also a problem. About 2 months ago, I was staying with my parents to give my boyfriend a break. I had only been there on my own a few hours and I started to get a sinking feeling. I felt awful, I was crying non stop and nothing could help. I had a panic attack, I was uncontrollable and I was desperate to be back with my boyfriend. After several hours of crying I found pills in my bag and decided to take the whole packet (10 in all). I knew at the time that this probably wasn't enough to kill me, but I really wanted to hurt myself and this was the only way I knew how. I sat for a while after taking the pills and I felt numb. I didn't care what happened next. Only trouble was, my boyfriend rang me after I had taken them. I told him what had happened and he went mad at me and said he was going to have to tell my parents, who were downstairs when this happened. I hung up and 5 seconds later, my parents phone rang. I knew he was going to tell them, so while my dad was on the phone I ran downstairs and told my mum everything. I will never forget the look on her face. 

My dad eventually rang the hospital and I had a check up. I was told that I wasn't in any danger and that the crisis team was not necessary. This, is something I will never understand. A girl takes a lot of pills, but oh no, not a crisis. She is obviously completely fine.

Eurgh.

I am now on a mood stabilizing medication called Aripiprazole and so far so good. My moods are more steady however I still get extremely paranoid and angry. I know I will probably need a lifetime supply of counselling and medication to 'fix' me, but I hope in the end it will all be worth it. For the sake of my relationship especially.

I want to raise awareness of mental health issues and show people that we are not 'crazy' or 'mad'. I have so many issues, it would take me hours to list them all. I have had traumatic experiences, I have depression in my family and all this learned behaviour has meant I struggle on a daily basis. I would say to anyone struggling with any issues similar to mine, or different, please find help. 

Talk to someone, let them know if you are feeling like shit and need a shoulder to cry on. Be honest and open. This is where I struggle. I hate to admit my faults and up until recently I have viewed my depression as a weakness. I now know that depression and BPD will not define me, yes I have it, but there are far more important personality traits that I want to be known for. 

To those without depression: take the time to ask people if they are ok. I'm sure they will appreciate it :)
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Such a brave post! Well done for raising awareness it really is important as there are so many people that still don't take mental illness seriously, it was only highlighted the other day with the row with ASOS. x

    rainbowcrush.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a lot. Its a shame that mental illness is still portrayed so badly in the media. I hope something changes soon! Xx

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik